Sunday, June 9, 2013

Workout Week Preview: 6/9 - 15/2013

With just a couple of weeks away from the 'official' start of my Talladega 21000 training, I'm adding more cross-training to my workout:

Sun, 6/9/13: PM - Knee rehab, core
Mon, 6/10/13: Noon - Perfect 10; PM - Run/hills 4 mi
Tues, 6/11/13: AM - Knee rehab; Noon - Perfect 10; PM - 20-min sprints, pool
Wed, 6/12/13: Noon - Knee rehab, core; PM - Run/tempo 5 mi
Thurs, 6/13/13: Noon - Perfect 10; PM - 20-min sprints, pool
Fri. 6/14/13: AM - Perfect 10
Sat, 6/15/13: AM -  Knee rehab, core, 20-min sprints, pool

"Perfect 10" is a weight training program I found in February 2013 Fitness Rx (a women's health and fitness magazine).  Plans are to follow the workout plan for the next month so what my results will be. 

 
 

The "20-min sprints" is a form of  high-intensity intermittent exercise - HIIE.  In the same Fitness Rx magazine, I found a short article about how engaging in HIIE can cut body fat.  HIIE comprises of repeated repetitions of high-intensity sprints followed by recovery.   This article summarized the results of an Australian study of young overweight men engaging in HIIE for 20 minutes three times a week for 12 weeks.  The routine consisted of repeated circuits of 8-second sprints on an exercise bike followed by 12-second recovery.  According to the article, the young men lose about 5 pounds and increased aerobic capacity by 15%.  The article concluded by stating that HIIE is an effective way to lose body fat and build fitness quick.  I was very encouraged by the article and thought I would incorporate this into my training.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home