Friday, November 29, 2013

Turkey Trot 2013

Today (Thanksgiving Day 11/28/2013)  I ran my annual 'Turkey Trot' (aka - run your butt off Thanksgiving morning, so you can pig out on your Thanksgiving morning - LOL): the Sam Lapidus Montclair Run 10K. It's a very popular local event, but I think the morning temperatures scared away even some of the most staunch athletes (low 20s - BRRRR!).

When my alarm went off at 6 am, I really wanted to turn it
 OFF and pull the covers over my head and SLEEP!! But I had really committed myself (and my money) to do so the run. So I staggered out of bed and proceeded with my morning rituals.  Besides I wanted to have a little guilt-free eating at dinner.

For about the first couple of miles, I was quite COLD!  Especially my hands (my gloves weren't the warmest) and they felt a little numb.  But my hands warmed up about mile 3 which was a welcomed relief.

Along the way, I met nice people - several runners who coached me through the 1st 3 miles before leaving in their dust (regrettably).   Then, I fell in with several ladies from another Weight Watchers class (on their job).  It was great walking with them because they were walking a good pace and kept me moving. 

My knees held up OK - they didn't start bothering me until somewhere between miles 3 and 4.  I took a couple of Advils before leaving the house and I think that helped. All in all, it wasn't a bad run (not a PR, but I crossed the finish line upright - LMBO!)

Official time (course clock time) - 1:33:46, 888 cal (heart rate watch); stats below from Runtastic app:


 




Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home