Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Returing from MIA - What I Learned (and Felt) Today After Missing 2 Weeks of Running

I didn't realize it, but up until today, I had missed almost 2 straight weeks of training (last run was 4/25).  I've had pain in my lower back then in my upper back (around my shoulder) so I skipped working out altogether.  I had been painting a room in house the past couple of weekends and had been doing some (relatively) intense hills jogging after work with my co-worker, so I decided to listen my body and pull back.

Well, today I decided to re-join my co-worker and get back on the wagon - for a long run (but less hills than before).  The two of us had registered for a 10K on Memorial Day so we knew we needed to put in the work if we were going to have a modest performance (under 1:30) for the upcoming 10K.  Admittedly both my co-worker and I were markedly slower - she hadn't run for about a week herself because she had been suffering with pain in her lower back and leg.  My knees felt OK - but my legs and my butt definitely felt the burn.  I've been using a new joint supplement (Move Free) for the past couple of weeks, and my knees certainly didn't pain or ache as much while I was running.  My co-worker and I finished a 10K distance and more (6.54 mi) in a relatively decent time (1:50), so running at this pace (16:40) we should finish this 10K about 1:38. 

Perhaps my biggest regret these past 2 weeks is that I didn't do any form of exercise - even just in the pool for some water-tredding or pool running.  Anything to keep the body moving.  I do certainly believe that cross training (weight training, cycling, etc.) has a synergistic effect on one's running.  I notice that even when I skip running and do a few days of cross training, I do notice that the running doesn't pain my knees as much.  Since I've been home relaxing, my legs have really stiffened up - I hadn't noticed much swelling but definitely some pain.  Definitely will ice the knees tonight.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home