Sunday, December 8, 2013

Advice for a Fellow Arthritis Sufferer

I've registered to participate on the American Cancer Society's DetermiNation NYC Half Marathon team in March 2014. So I decided to search the internet to find a beginner runner's training program that wasn't only focused on running, but also incorporated cross training and other forms of exercise. I found one that looks like what I am looking for: Hal Higdon's Novice Half Marathon Training Program.  The program included 2-3 days of cross or strength training.  

As a beginner runner, I neglected to include this in my training, and I do believe the lack of cross and strength training contributed to my knee troubles.  I was always subject to becoming a victim to arthritis (having several family members with it, myself having a major knee injury years ago, and being overweight).  All I wanted to do was run.  Occasionally I did some strength training, but it was a regular part of my workout routine.  As my knees have hampered my running, I have come to appreciate the benefits of cross and strength training. 

You may want to run, but more importantly, you should strive to keep moving! 

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home