Monday, March 18, 2013

The Spirit is Willing, but the Body Can't Always ...

Have you ever had one of those workouts when you thought about it in retrospect that you just should have taken the day off?

Tonight at the gym was just such a night.  The signs were apparent long before I went to the gym.  But like many of us 'athlete-type' we often choose to ignore our bodies and press on, using as our internal mantra - NO PAIN, NO GAIN.  Well, in many cases, PAIN is not a good thing - as a matter of fact, pain can be detrimental to one's overall health and fitness goals and can result in setbacks, injuries, etc.

Just suffice it to say that my knees today didn't want to run and they sent me a strong message - loud and clear. I did manage to get through 35 agonizing minutes on the treadmill (2.2 mi, pace 15:54/mil, 310 cal).   My knees had been paining, aching, for several days.  Instead of skipping the gym and give my knees some attention, I went to the gym anyway - convincing myself that I needed to work out since I hadn't been in a few days.  A very misguided decision on my part.  Now my knees feel worse. 

I'm registered for a 5K at the end of the month and I'm not certain at this point I will be in any condition to participate - even just to walk. 

Moral of my story - RUN IN HASTE; RECOVER PAINFULLY!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home