Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Circuit/weight training + cardio

Hit the gym this evening after work for a circuit/weight training and cardio workout combo:

WORKOUT 1 - CIRCUIT/STRENGTH TRAINING
I found an article in an old edition of Fitness Magazine (Feb. 13) on a simple circuit routine using commonly found gym equipment (the article is also online on the Fitness Magazine website - Make the Most of the Weight Machines at Your Gym). The article states following the exercises in order and starting with 2 sets of 12 reps each. Since this was my 1st workout, I ended up not following the routine in order. Some machines were being used so I had skip them and come back to them later. I added a machine by mistake. And finally, I missed one machine altogether because I wasn't familiar with the layout in the gym and used a different machine only to find the machine I needed when I was leaving the workout area. I have the exercises listed in the order I did them (the order of the exercises as they are listed in the article is in parentheses):

Assisted Chin-up Machine - 180 # (2)

Pec Fly Machine - 20# (added in error)

Rotary Chess Press (in lieu of Incline Chest Press)  -40 # (1)








(Photo courtesy of American Council on Exercise website)

Cable Machine Overhead Tricep Extension - 30# (4)

Lateral Raise Machine (isometric) - 10# total/5# each side (3)

Cable Machine Bicep Curl - 30#  (5)











(Photo courtesy of Fitness Magazine website)

Leg Press Machine - 40# (6)








(Photo courtesy of American Council on Exercise website)

Prone Hamstring Curl Machine - 30# (7)








(Photo courtesy of American Council on Exercise website)

Cable Machine Standing Leg Lifts - 20#











(Photo courtesy of American Council on Exercise website)

Stability ball (with weight - FM calls for using a 5-lb plate weight; I used a 6-lb medicine ball)









WORKOUT 2 - HIGH-INTENSITY INTERMITTENT EXERCISE
Following the circuit training, I ended with cardio - high-intensity intermittent exercise on the exercise bike ('bike sprints') - 8 sec 'high' speed riding followed by 12 sec recovery for 30 min + 5-min cooldown (total 35:00, 6.52 cal, 172 cal)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home