Monday, January 21, 2013

Prep for Ovarian Cycle Ride (1st training ride) + a little core work

Today I made my 1st of six training rides in preparation for the Ovarian Cycle fundraiser.  As I have previously posted, the Ovarian Cycle Ride to Change the Future(TM) is a 6-hour indoor cycling event dedicated to raising funds for the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund.  As part of the event optional training rides are open to participants for the 5 weeks prior to the actual event.

Week 1 - 90 min
Week 2 - 2 hrs
Week 3 - 2.5 hrs
Week 4 - 3 hrs
Week 5 - 4 hrs

I missed the first official training ride on Sunday, so I decided to make up it this afternoon.  I used a customary stationary bike (instead of a spinning back) under the false assumption that the seat on the former would be more comfortable - NOT!!!  After about the 1st 10-15 min. I didn't think I could stay on - I even used a pillow to cushion the seat.  It was by no means comfortable at all.   I definitely need to get at least some cycling shorts - I'll have to find out from the event location if the seats on the bikes can be swapped out with another seat. If not, maybe I could find a padded bike seat cover. I have lots of natural cushioning on my bottom (LOL), but I don't think that is even enough!

The max. time for the bike was 60:00, so I set the time for 45:00 with plans to ride twice.  I indeed finish both 45:00 sessions - essentially non-spot, back-to-back - stopping only to reset the exercise program.  I kept at a moderate speed since my goal was endurance.

STATS:
Total - 1:30:00, 645 cal*, 28.77 mi, avg speed 19.18 mph, avg pace 3:13/mi**
Session 1 - 13.85 mi, avg speed 18.47 mph, avg pace 3:25/mi**
Session 2 - 14.92 mi, avg speed 19.89 mph, avg pace 3.02/mi**

(*Calorie data from heart rate watch, speed/pace data from online fitness tracking programs - DailyMile, Just Finish.  My heart rate watch gives HR readings only on-demand.  The exercise program on the bike didn't provide averages.)

My legs are quite stiff now, but I did manage to do a little core work afterwards:
Crunches - 20 X 5 = 100
Reverse crunches - 10 X 5 = 50

Tomorrow may be a rest day - :).


Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home