Wednesday, January 4, 2017

A Slow Beginning in the Neighborhood

This evening, I decided to take a quick walk after coming home from work to get in the steps to make my daily goal and take advantage of the pleasant January weather.  I started alow because I was still a little sore and stiff from yesterday's pool aerobic workout.  I took a route close to home so I could walk and get home before dark.  As I walked up a slight hill, I was approaching an older woman walking her 2 dogs.  The dogs weren't big and didn't seem threatening or overly aggressive, so I didn't break my stride and continued on my path.  Well, the lady made what I thought was an unusual move - she stepped off the sidewalk and made both her dogs sit in place.  As I passed her, I looked over my shoulder to see if she and her dogs were still in that same spot or if she had moved on.  Well, not surprisingly, the lady didn't move - she continued to watch me  until I turned the corner - I guess to make certain this black woman dressed in typical exercise wear wouldn't double back and try to do her harm.  The area where I was walking is alongside a relatively busy main thoroughfare.  Additionally, the lady had the advantage of having the 2 dogs with her that she could sic on me.  At first, I thought to double back and graciously tell the woman she had nothing to fear about me. On 2nd thought, I chose not to because she may feel 'threatened' by my presence.  What was funny (at least to me) is that I saw the same woman on my way back home.  This time she started to turn.   As she slowly walking away, she looked over her shoulder to watch me.  I just shook my head in dismay.

Despite this woman's not so subtle actions, I met my step goal - even exceeded it.  No turning around.


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home